I was born and raised in Kansas and learned to cook alongside my mother. Now, along with my wonderful husband, I have taken the plunge into the city life in New York. These are my food adventures: in my own tiny kitchen, and in the many restaurants of the city.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Craft Services, Step 3: After the First Night

It has been a whirlwind couple of days. At times it's been almost overwhelming, but thankfully I've still had fun (despite the anxiety riddled sleep, waking up multiple times thinking I'm forgetting something). I promise that I have a couple of actual recipe posts to put up here, but looks like they are going to have to wait until after the shoot.

Did a ton of shopping Tuesday and Wednesday, hitting up Trader Joe's, then the greenmarket, then the grocery store. The greenmarket was overflowing with bounty--it was hard to walk away with just what I needed. I was able to pick up a couple of extras though (including a fresh smoked cheese for the focaccia pizzas and some fava beans and garlic scapes for our own dinner). What a beautiful time of year to be at the market! At the grocery store I almost had a meltdown as I loaded up my cart with more and more items--it started to feel like way too much to do (and entirely too much to carry home). I parked my cart in the middle of an aisle, starting to feel the tightness in my chest of an impending panic attack, and texted Joe for some comfort, which was dutifully provided. Then one of the cashiers came to my rescue and told me of the free delivery they offer--thank god!
The state of my kitchen table.
Cooking went off without a hitch. Luckily I had that intricately planned out and was even ahead of schedule. The lasagna was oven-ready, salad greens washed and chopped, mini frittatas made, and soup ingredients cooked off and ready to be assembled on-site.
Lasagna with Rainbow Chard
Mini Frittatas
Friday came and it was time to load up into the car to the Bronx. Of course it started raining as soon as we started loading things out the door. Then it stopped for the (longest car ride of my life through terrible traffic) trip, and started down pouring once again once we were blocks from our unloading point. :::sigh::: With some wonderful help, we were unloaded quickly and I was able to get set up.
The crew at work.
The night passed in a flurry of friends old and new, last minute preparations, and then finally sitting down to the first meal: vegetarian lasagna with layers of rainbow chard and a salad of mixed greens, pomegranate, and sunflower seeds. The snacks were set out to keep the cast and crew going through the rest of the night's shoot, including a homemade hummus, party mix, and peanut butter cookies. Fed and (I'm pretty sure) happy, the crew set to work on the first shots of the film.
Snacks (despite my cooking efforts the Doritos were the most popular thing there)

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I can imagine how overwhelming the whole situation is, but I can also imagine you handling it with aplomb.